Regular workflow post-functions run on transitions. However, with Scheduled Actions, you can schedule one or more JMWE post-functions to run against issues returned by a JQL search. For example, you can automatically transition any issue escalated yet not addressed for over 24 hours.
Every morning, send a reminder email to the assignee of each issue that is "in progress" status.
Things to know about Scheduled Actions:
- Works based on predefined times, not based on workflow transitions.
- Flexible scheduling allows for any frequency (10-minute minimum).
- Can execute many types of automations, such as workflow transitions, issue status and user changes, all in sequence.
Every morning, send a reminder email for each "in progress" issue.
- Go to the "Scheduled actions" page of the JMWE app.
- Press "New scheduled action".
- Add a name "Remind assignees."
- Select the schedule, 9 am every day in our case.
- In Target Issues, JQL expression, press "Edit JQL" to specify which issues will be affected by this rule.
- Specify JQL search; in our case, specify: status = "In Progress". Press "Search." The results will be displayed so you can verify your input.
- Press "Submit."
- Optionally: select the maximum number of issues to process to maintain good Jira performance.
- Then "add post function" to specify which action to undertake per our selected schedule.
- Add a post function called "Email issue". Specify email content.
- Select Issue members as "Assignee," and Save.
- Save Scheduled Action.
You now have an action scheduled to run every morning, at 9 am, to remind users of their In Progress issues.